Two Easy Methods to Clean Shower Door Tracks
You’ve cleaned your shower doors and have washed the shower walls, too, but what about your sliding shower door track? If you forgot about that part of your bathroom, don’t feel too bad: you’re definitely not alone and shower door tracks are pretty easy to overlook.
However, they do collect soap scum and all types of other unpleasant things, some of which may be alive. Additionally, a large amount of mineral buildup from hard water can make it difficult to slide your shower doors open. All of this means you should clean your shower door tracks as often as you scrub the shower itself.
Wondering how to clean your aluminum shower door frame and tracks? Take a look at the following two do-it-yourself methods.
How to Clean Shower Door Tracks with VinegarIf you’re familiar with DIY all-natural cleaning methods, you won’t be at all surprised to find that distilled white vinegar can help remove soap scum and hard water stains from your shower door tracks.
- ¼ to ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- Cotton balls
- A spray bottle filled with distilled water
- A grout brush or an old toothbrush
- Microfiber cloth
- Apply the vinegar into your shower door tracks using cotton balls. You may not need that much vinegar; your goal is to get the tracks wet, but you don’t need to flood them. Note: If you have stone floors or tiles, you need to be especially careful during application. Stone surfaces can be irreparably damaged by vinegar.
- Let the vinegar sit for three to five minutes.
- Gently scrub any soap scum or stains using the toothbrush or grout brush.
- Mist the track with water to remove any remaining vinegar or residue.
- Wipe the area dry with a microfiber cloth.
- Repeat as necessary; you may have to give your shower door tracks a few passes if you haven’t cleaned them in a while.
How to Clean Shower Door Tracks with a SteamerLike vinegar, a canister steamer can work wonders when it comes to chemical-free cleaning.
- A steamer with a wand attachment
- Microfiber cloths
- A plastic spatula or a plastic putty knife
- Follow the instructions on the steamer to prepare for cleaning the shower door tracks.
- Use the wand to loosen any goop and stains that have collected in the tracks.
- Wrap a clean microfiber cloth around your spatula. Use this or a plastic putty knife to access hard-to-reach edges and crevices, so that you can apply pressure to that nasty scum and buildup.
- Wipe away any residue with a fresh microfiber cloth.
- Repeat these steps until your shower door tracks are free of hard water stains and soapy buildup.
Once you get your shower door tracks clean, you can help them stay that way by wiping them down with a microfiber cloth each time you finish bathing.
Don’t have time to keep your toilet clean, much less the shower door tracks? If your schedule has become so overwhelming that you’re no longer able to keep up with your daily housekeeping routine, consider calling in some backup. The professional housekeepers at your local Merry Maids are happy to lend a hand. Let them take care of the cleaning, so you can find some time to relax.
Next > How to Clean Chrome Fixtures and Fittings