How to Remove Crayon from Walls
It can be tough keeping a tidy home with children. In addition to parent-teacher conferences, you have lunches to pack and soccer uniforms to launder. Then, one evening you come home after a long day and your kids have created a “thank you” in the form of a huge crayon mural all over the wall of your living room.
Sound familiar? Then learn how to remove crayon from walls without stripping the paint or marring your wood surfaces.
Note: Before attempting the following ways to get crayon off walls, you’ll want to do a spot test on a small inconspicuous area to make sure you won’t damage your paint or the walls themselves.
How to Remove Crayon with MayoAlong with adding tang to your potato salad, mayonnaise can help clean your kids’ crayon art from walls.
- Full-fat mayo
- Paper towels
- Microfiber cloths
- Use the paper towels to apply the mayonnaise directly to the crayon marks.
- Let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes, making sure pets are out of the room.
- Wipe the affected area using a dampened microfiber cloth. The crayon should come off with the mayo.
- Use a clean dry microfiber cloth to wipe away any remaining residue.
Removing Crayon with a Blow DryerLike mayo, your blow dryer can pull double-duty when it comes to getting crayon off walls. Why?
- A hair dryer
- Dishwashing liquid
- A microfiber cloth
- In a bowl, mix a few drops of dishwashing liquid with hot water. You want the water to be hot so that it helps melt the crayon wax.
- Turn your blow dryer on and aim it at the crayon on the walls. Start with a lower heat setting and adjust as needed. Your goal is to warm the wax up so that it begins to melt.
- Turn off your dryer, unplug it and set it aside in a safe place.
- Dampen a microfiber cloth in your soapy water and wipe the crayon away.
- Use a dry microfiber cloth to clean any remaining residue.
How to Clean Crayon off Walls with VinegarYou probably already know that vinegar comes in handy when cleaning your toilet. Well, it can also work magic when you’re trying to figure out how to remove crayon marks from walls.
- Distilled white vinegar
- An old toothbrush
- A microfiber cloth
- Dip the toothbrush into the vinegar and gently scrub at the crayon marks. When cleaning wooden panels, you’ll want to work in the direction of the grain.
- Use the microfiber cloth to wipe the walls clean.
How to Erase Crayon from WallsThis is probably one of the easiest ways to get crayon off walls. However, this method may be best for painted walls as some eraser cleaning tools can damage or bleach wood surfaces.
- An eraser cleaning tool
- Dampen the eraser tool.
- Lightly scrub over the crayon marks until they disappear.
Now you know how to remove crayon from walls. You’ll probably want to learn how to clean microfiber cloths, too, as they’ll likely be dirty after this task. And if you’re so busy carpooling to judo and helping with homework that you’re having trouble with your routine housework, contact your local Merry Maids to see if they can lend a hand.
Next > How to Clean Baby Toys