Get Move-In Cleaning Ready
When most people move, they’re so wrapped up with packing and move-out cleaning that they forget their future house or apartment needs to be cleaned, too. However, you want your new home to be comfortable and tidy, so it’s important to do some move-in cleaning before you unpack all your boxes.
The following move-in cleaning checklist can make settling into your new home a little easier.
1. Keep Cleaning Supplies HandyIt’s crucial that you’re able to find your cleaning products and tools when you arrive at your new home. Keep them separate from your other packing by putting them in your car rather than loading them on the moving truck. At the very least, make sure they’re in a clearly labeled box and are one of the first things you unload. Then, put them in a place where they won’t blend in with the rest of your boxes, such as under your kitchen sink or even in a bathtub. That way, when you’re ready to start your move-in cleaning, you know exactly where your supplies are.
2. Have a Game PlanMove-in cleaning is much easier when you’ve decided which rooms you’ll address first. For the best results, clean one room at a time. Start with essential rooms, such as the bathroom, kitchen and main bedrooms. To make this easier, consider placing all your boxes in common areas, such as living rooms or dining rooms. That way, you can do a thorough cleaning job in your essential rooms without having to work around crates and piles of boxes.
Organize as You UnpackHopefully you’ve already taken the time to dust and wash items before packing them away. Keep in mind that some things — like dishes — may need to be cleaned again before you use them. As you unpack your boxes, take the time to organize areas that are prone to chaos, such as closets, pantries, and so forth. When you do this up front, you don’t have to worry about coming back at a later date to more or less tackle the same chore again. You may find the following posts helpful:
- 3 Laundry Room Ideas for Better Functionality
- 5 Stellar Kitchen Organization Ideas
- How to Organize Your Bathroom
- How to Organize Your Linen Closet
- Take Control of Your Kitchen Cabinets with These 5 Organizational Tips
Enlist Some HelpCleaning a new house before moving in can be a beast of a task, especially if you’re still working on move-out cleaning or have a tight squeeze in terms of move-out and move-in dates. If you’re looking to ease this stress, it’s not a bad idea to call in some reinforcement from friends and family members. Ask them to come over and help you in exchange for pizza and beer once the task is done, then put on some music and get to work. And don’t forget to return the favor when others need help moving.
Call in The ProfessionalsIf you know you won’t be able to take care of move-in cleaning due to logistics or because you’ve relocated to a new city where you don’t have family and haven’t made friends yet, do yourself a solid and call for backup. The housekeeping professionals at Merry Maids offer a range of specialty services, including move-in and move-out cleaning. When you enlist their help, you can focus on loading and unloading that moving truck without having to worry about moving into a dirty home or losing a security deposit because you ran out of time.
It can be a challenge to take care of a move-in clean while packing and cleaning your old house or apartment. However, the time and effort will be well worth it once you get to kick your feet up and relax in your new home. And remember, if you need help with your move-in cleaning, give your local Merry Maids a call. They’re more than happy to lend a hand so that you can get settled in a little more quickly.
Next > The Basics to Keeping Your Bedroom Furniture Clean