Got Half a Minute? 8 Quick and Easy Chores to Do Around the House
If you’re like many people, you’ve been guilty of putting off chores because they seem too time-consuming. And it’s true that larger projects like cleaning the fridge or decluttering a bedroom closet can take a while. However, there are many chores that you can take care of in a matter of seconds.
Have to see it to believe it? Then take a look at eight easy chores you can do around the house in 30 seconds or less.
1. Clean Kitchen SurfacesThe kitchen is brimming with surfaces that need to be wiped clean, and each can be tackled in about 30 seconds. So, when you’re looking for easy chores, grab a clean microfiber cloth and the appropriate household cleaner, then tackle any of the following kitchen tasks:
- Wipe down the kitchen countertops.
- Wipe down the refrigerator handles.
- Wipe down the kitchen sink.
- Polish kitchen faucets and knobs.
- Clean crumbs from the stovetop.
- Wipe down the microwave door and handle.
- Wipe down the fronts of kitchen cabinets.
- Shine cabinet knobs and drawer handles.
2. Empty Waste BinsIt only takes a handful of seconds to tie up a trash bag. What’s more, keeping spare bin liners in the bottom of your kitchen, office and bathroom waste baskets can make this quick task even more efficient. Still have a few seconds to spare? Sprinkle a little baking soda in the base of that kitchen trash can to help prevent bad smells.
3. Squeegee Shower WallsAnother 30-second clean is running a squeegee on the shower walls that get splashed with the most water and shampoo while bathing. Ideally, this should be done after each use. And while this chore doesn’t take long, it can save you a lot of time, as it may slow down the buildup of soap scum.
4. Clean Your Bathroom MirrorsBathroom mirrors can be cleaned in a flash: Simply spritz a little vinegar or ammonia on the mirror and wipe them down with a clean microfiber cloth.
5. Look After PetsYou can wash and refill Fido’s water bowl almost as quickly as you can say, “Good boy.” And if you keep bags and a scooper nearby, it’ll take little time at all to scoop Mittens' litterbox clean.
6. Vacuum the EntrywayMudrooms, side doors and foyers all see a lot of foot traffic during the day. A quick pass with the vacuum can help keep dirt, grime and other things that get tracked in to a minimum.
7. Clean TouchscreensSome electronic devices take a fair amount of time to properly clean. However, it doesn't take long to wipe down the touchscreen on your tablet or smartphone with a slightly dampened microfiber cloth. Just make sure devices are unplugged and powered off, and don’t let any moisture get into openings. In addition, let electronics dry completely before plugging them in or powering them back on.
8. Sort Through Junk MailJunk mail can become a nightmare of clutter if it’s left uncontrolled. Fortunately, sorting through it is one of the many easy chores you can take care of in less than 30 seconds. Keep it in check by taking a few seconds each day to sort through mail and drop any unwanted circulars or letters into the recycling bin.
Once you realize how much you can get done with a 30-second clean here or there, you’ll start finding other things you can wash or tidy in a short amount of time.
And if you’re having trouble keeping up with routine housekeeping tasks that take more than half a minute to accomplish, contact your local Merry Maids for cleaning backup.
Next > How to Stop Making These 5 Common Cleaning Mistakes