The Best Organizing Tips from Marie Kondo
Let’s face it: Our lives (and homes) can get pretty cluttered over time. Between scrambling to finish errands and pursuing your career, it’s easy to get distracted by all the noise. Meanwhile, our messes at home seem to grow bigger and bigger, as we accumulate more things we don’t really want or need.
Enter organizing consultant Marie Kondo, and her innovative organizing method called KonMari. Combining Japanese feng shui principles, minimalist theory, and an abundance of emotional awareness, Marie Kondo recommends a simple remedy to the ailment of clutter — to keep only those items that truly “spark joy” in ourselves and our families.
With such a beautifully simple philosophy, it’s little wonder the Konmari organizing method has taken the world by storm, with the most devoted fans even dubbing themselves “Konverts”! At Merry Maids®, we’re proud Konverts too — and we’re passionate about helping you clear out the clutter to make way for a more joyful and fulfilling life.
Here are just a few of our favorite KonMari decluttering tips you can use at home:
- Envision the life you want. Do you want more room for your wine collection and tasting ware? Maybe you want to paint more often, and enjoy quick access to your favorite paintbrushes and easel. Whatever life you want to live, KonMari asks you to begin the tidying process by imagining that life, and then re-framing your space around it.
- Discard items that don’t spark joy. As defined by Kondo, “sparking joy” is about listening to your own heart’s desires. Whenever you touch, see, or use an item, it should bring you pleasure and gratitude, not frustration. If any of your stuff falls in the latter category, it’s time to let it go!
- Tidy up by category rather than room. Where other experts say to clean room-by-room, Marie Kondo advises you to tidy based on categories, starting with clothing and ending with komono, or miscellaneous items. The goal is to complete the tidying-up process in one elegant swoop, rather than picking at the clutter forever.
- Fold your clothes to “stand upright.” This advice may be counterintuitive for many of us, but Marie Kondo asserts that the best way to keep your clothing wrinkle-free is to add more folds, not less! Folded clothes should also stand upright to make space in your drawer. Lifestyle brand Goop has a great illustrated guide to the KonMari folding method.
- Stay present with your belongings. There’s no time like the present – and yet so often, we cling to belongings that represent a past long vanished, or a far-off future. Marie Kondo reminds us to live in the now, and to give our possessions dignity by keeping only those that serve us.
While her New York Times best-selling book “The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up” outlines the full KonMari method, this technique is first and foremost about finding simplicity; not following an endless list of tasks. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, you can always let our professional house cleaners help you get started on decluttering your life!
Discover Our New Organizational Services
If you still need a little help applying Marie Kondo’s methods at home, Merry Maids® can help you out with our new organizational services! Trusted for more than 40 years to help with America’s cleaning needs, we also want to assist our customers with making room for the things that matter. Our professional organizational experts can customize our service to fit your family’s needs, ensuring that you can enjoy a more tidy and joyful home.
Spark more joy in your living space! Call us today at (888) 490-4227 to get a free estimate on our organizational services.