Top 10 Pet Cleaning Hacks
As a pet owner, you’ve probably noticed how pet hair tends to get… well, everywhere. Aside from pet hair getting stuck to your clothes, furniture, and other belongings, you also have to worry about a range of odors and stains, courtesy of your furry friend. Over time, all those little messes can add up, and make your house feel less clean.
Here at Merry Maids®, our cleaning experts are well-versed in the perils of pet cleaning. Whether you need help removing stubborn stains or simply giving your house a detailed clean, our professional team will aim to restore some balance to your life – and keep your home smelling and looking fresh.
Of course, there are also plenty of ways to make pet clean-up easier. With our top 10 pet cleaning hacks, you’ll be well on your way to a cleaner and cozier home with your four-legged pals!
Here’s our take on the top 10 pet cleaning hacks:
1. Invest in a good pet washer. Instead of wrestling Fido into a tub once a week and splashing water and dirt everywhere, you can purchase a pet salon-quality pet washer head for your bathroom and save yourself the trouble! The targeted bristles make it easier to give your pup a gentle scrub-down, while controlling the flow of water.
2. Use rubber dishwashing gloves to pick up hair. Tired of getting carpeted with cat hair when you sit down on the couch? Just don a pair of classic rubber kitchen gloves and run them over the couch surface. This will attract pet hair quickly, and you can just wash them off in the sink once you’re finished.
3. Purchase a UV black light. Whether you’re training a rebellious dog or dealing with a troubled rescue kitten, you may not always be able to locate where they’ve had an accident indoors. Luckily, UV black lights are relatively cheap, and when used in the dark, they’ll show you exactly where to find urine stains for clean-up.
4. Wipe down those little paws every time. Even if you have a great entrance mat for your pup, they may still track dirt and dust into the house. Keep a bowl of warm water, a towel, and some pet-safe wipes by the door, and give your pet a full inspection each time they come into the house. It may be time-consuming, but you’ll save money and energy on cleaning in the long run.
5. Try a pet-safe dry shampoo. Only have time for a 5-minute pet bath? With a range of natural dry shampoo options available for dogs and cats alike, you may be able to give your pet a quick rubdown when they need some extra care during the week. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully, and use a clean, damp towel to remove any excess.
6. Drain catchers are your friend. When you’re bathing your pet, make sure that your drain is outfitted with an appropriate drain catcher to avoid unsightly hair clogs. There are plenty of drain catchers designed for the fine fibers of pet fur!
7. Use baking soda and vinegar for stain lifting. Baking soda and vinegar is a winning DIY solution for all kinds of cleaning problems, and it works particularly well on pet stains. Pouring vinegar on the spot immediately after an accident will act to neutralize the ammonia in dog or cat urine. Then heap on the baking soda and cover the spot for about a day, allowing the baking soda to absorb the liquids. Follow up with the vacuum, and the spot will be good as new!
8. Run your clothes and bedding through the dryer first. We know, it sounds a little backwards to put your linens in the dryer before the washing machine. However, if you have a pet, drying your linens for 10 minutes is a great way to ensure that hair gets stuck in the lint trap rather than in the folds of your clothes. Then proceed with the washing as normal.
9. Don’t use a steam cleaner on fresh stains. It can be tempting to pull out your fancy steam cleaner or steam vacuum to tackle pet stains. Unfortunately, the steam can actually bind urine and waste into the carpet fibers and make it all the more difficult to remove.
10. Seek help from the experts. There’s ultimately no better way to take care of all the places your pets love the most than by leaning on the experts...Merry Maids®. You can rely on us to take care of all of your house-cleaning needs so you can enjoy your pets...and not just clean after them.
Ready for more pet-related tips and tricks from the Merry Maids team? Click here to get our 7 tips for dog-proofing your home!