10 Ways to Prioritize House Cleaning for the New Year
As the new year unfolds, it's time to reassess your cleaning habits and create a cleaner living space. If the thought of deep cleaning your home sounds daunting, fret not! The team of house cleaning professionals at Merry Maids® is here to guide you in prioritizing your cleaning tasks. From creating an effective cleaning schedule to tackling high-traffic areas first, we've compiled a list of tips that will help you maintain a clean home.
What Is the Correct Order to Clean a House?
Streamlining your house cleaning with a specific order can transform it from a daunting task into a smooth, manageable process. Whether juggling physical constraints or seeking efficiency, this strategy is your secret weapon for an inviting home.
Here's a suggested cleaning sequence:
- Declutter: Before you start cleaning, go through each room and declutter. Remove items that don't belong in the room, and put away toys, clothes, dishes, etc. This makes it easier to clean surfaces and floors.
- Dust and Clean Ceilings and Walls: Start from the top and work your way down. Dust ceiling fans, light fixtures, and then the walls. This prevents dust and dirt from falling onto already cleaned areas.
- Clean Windows and Mirrors: Use a glass cleaner to wipe down windows and mirrors.
- Sanitize High-Touch Surfaces: Clean high-touch surfaces like doorknobs, light switches, remotes, and countertops.
- Clean Kitchen and Bathroom: Kitchens and bathrooms often require more intensive cleaning because bacteria tends to collect. In the kitchen, clean appliances, scrub the sink, and wipe down countertops. In the bathroom, clean the toilet, scrub the shower/tub, and wipe down the sink.
- Clean Furniture: Dust and clean all furniture and vacuum any upholstery.
- Sweep, Vacuum, and Mop Floors: Finally, clean the floors. Always vacuum or sweep before mopping to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Take out the Trash: After cleaning, remove the garbage from all rooms.
How to Prioritize Cleaning Going into the New Year
1. Create a Cleaning Schedule
Make a daily cleaning schedule that prioritizes tasks based on urgency and importance. This will help you stay organized and help prevent any tasks from being overlooked or becoming too much of an undertaking.
2. Tackle High-Traffic Areas First
High-traffic areas like the kitchen, living room, and bathrooms should be cleaned more frequently as they are used the most and gather dirt quickly. These spaces quickly build up dirt and bacteria, requiring attention first.
3. Declutter Regularly
Start the new year by decluttering each room one at a time. Get rid of items that no longer serve a purpose. This will help make cleaning easier and your home more organized.
4. Deep Clean Seasonally
Plan for a deep clean every season. This includes tasks like cleaning windows, carpets, and upholstery and dusting hard-to-reach areas.
5. Prioritize Health
Places like the kitchen and bathroom can harbor bacteria. Make it a priority to disinfect these areas regularly to help maintain a healthy home environment and keep illnesses like a cold or the flu at bay.
6. Invest in Quality Cleaning Tools
Good quality cleaning tools can make the task quicker and more efficient. Consider investing in a high-powered vacuum, microfiber cloths, natural cleaning products already in your home, and other durable cleaning supplies.
7. Daily Tidying Up
Make it a habit to do a quick tidy-up every day. This could be as simple as making the bed, washing the dishes, or picking up toys. Creating a habit will keep your home from becoming cluttered, thereby making cleaning a huge undertaking.
8. Assign Tasks
If you live with others, distribute cleaning tasks among everyone. This helps make the work lighter and ensures everyone contributes to maintaining a clean home. You can also turn this into a game or a competition to insert some fun into cleaning with kids.
9. Hire Professional Help
Let’s be honest. You’ve been on the go since Thanksgiving; it’s time you took a load off and let someone else tackle the cleaning. If certain tasks are too big or you're too busy, consider hiring a professional cleaning service like Merry Maids. We can complete detailed or regular cleanings when needed.
10. Set Cleaning Goals
Having clear goals can motivate you to clean. This could be as simple as wanting to keep the kitchen counter clutter-free or aiming to have the living room cleaned every week. You might even turn these goals into New Year’s resolutions so they become part of your routine.
The key to keeping a clean home is consistency. Once you've established a routine, it will become second nature. Start the new year with a fresh, clean home by prioritizing these cleaning tasks.
Merry Maids Can Help Make Your Home’s Cleanliness a Priority
Whether decluttering regularly, investing in quality cleaning tools, or setting clear cleaning goals, these strategies will help you start the new year on a clean slate—quite literally. And remember, if certain tasks seem too overwhelming or your busy schedule gets in the way, our home cleaning professionals are just a call away.Reach out at (888) 490-4227 to request a free estimate today. Here's to a cleaner, brighter new year with Merry Maids!