Make Move Out Cleaning Less Stressful
Moving to a new home is exciting, but it’s also one of life’s major stressors due to all the work that has to be done in a short timeframe. While it’s likely impossible that you’ll never enjoy moving, there are several ways in which you can make the process easier on yourself.
1. Create a SchedulePacking up and cleaning your home is a massive undertaking, so it’s important to plan properly. That means mapping out your time well in advance. In addition to your actual move-out date, set deadlines for specific tasks, such as packing up the spare bedroom or cleaning out your refrigerator. Be certain to leave yourself as much wiggle room as is feasible: The goal is to get as much move-out cleaning done ahead of time while still having access to the comforts and necessities you need until you move to your new home.
2. Pack and Clean in ZonesKeep your work concentrated to one space at a time by setting cleaning and packing zones in your house. Make a list or draw a map of your home and number the rooms or areas in the order you want to address them. For example, list spare rooms or guest bathrooms first as these spots can be packed without upending your daily routines. Remember to clean as you go, taking the time to wipe down books, lamps and knickknacks before putting them away. If you won’t be using a move-out cleaning service, you’ll want to work from the top (cleaning cobwebs, ceiling fans and light fixtures) to the bottom (vacuuming, washing floors and wiping baseboards) in each room
3. Embrace the Opportunity to DownsizeAs you’ll literally be going through every room in your home, a move-out cleaning is the perfect time to get rid of anything you don’t want or need anymore. Place a few empty boxes around your house and fill them with those items you haven’t used in months or the clothes that you forgot you owned until you started packing up your closet. Once they’re full, donate them or hold a garage sale. Additionally, go through paperwork and clutter-catching drawers and toss out any lists or scraps that may be hanging around.
4. Enlist Some HelpPacking is a much less daunting task if you have some extra hands and pleasant conversation. Offer your friends or relatives pizza and drinks in exchange for their time and efforts. Clearly, you might not want their help packing some of your more personal belongings, but a little assistance boxing up books, baking utensils or seasonal items in your garage can make a huge difference in your move-out cleaning.
5. Bring in the ProfessionalsYour time will likely be limited, especially if you’re a renter, and you can’t unload your moving truck and clean your house at the same time. Save yourself a stress fest and contact your local Merry Maids to see what home or apartment move-out cleaning services they offer. That way, you can focus on carrying those boxes, while housekeeping professionals take care of cleaning your former home, saving you time and — if you’re a renter — ensuring you don’t have to pay any clean-up fees from your security deposit.
Where there’s a move-out, there’s usually a move-in. Need a hand unpacking and getting your new place spruced up? Ask your local Merry Maids about their packing and unpacking services.