What Are the Benefits of Green Cleaning?
Over the years, “green cleaning” products and techniques have become more and more popular with eco-conscious homeowners. Unfortunately, it can often be difficult to tell when green cleaning products are beneficial to your home and the environment, as the labeling standards are not consistent across different brands. In fact, some green cleaning products may not bring the desired benefits at all – so it’s important to know how to assess your eco-friendly products for quality.
At Merry Maids®, our cleaning experts have stayed ahead of the curve by including a few top-tier green cleaning options within our core line of maintenance products, Merry Maids Essentials™. These eco-friendly commercial cleaning products include a subset of products that are SaferChoice® approved—which means they meet independent guidelines established by the United States EPA. That means you can trust that our green cleaning products will get the job done right, while protecting your family from harmful chemicals.
Here are some of the benefits our SaferChoice® approved products can offer you and your family:
· Reduced levels of volatile organic compounds (VOCs): According to the EPA, volatile organic compounds or VOCs are gases that can be emitted from certain cleaning products, such as disinfectants, aerosol sprays, and solvents. Our green cleaning products have lower levels of these chemicals and may decrease the risk of irritation.
· Safe for use around pets and children: Kids and household pets are both particularly vulnerable to the chemicals used in certain cleaning products, and while most standard cleaning products are safe when used according to the labels, using SaferChoice® approved products can help reduce the odds of chemical exposure.
· Improved indoor air quality: Cleaning improves your air quality by removing dirt particles and pet dander from your home’s surfaces – but some traditional cleaning products can also introduce new allergens and synthetic fragrances into the air at the same time. Because our green cleaning products are mostly comprised of natural ingredients, you can breathe easy knowing that your air quality has started to improve.
How to Pick the Right Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
While our cleaning experts would be happy to help you explore green cleaning options with our team, it’s also important to select the right eco-friendly products for your daily and weekly household cleaning routines. Whether you prefer to try DIY solutions or buy something off the shelf, however, there are a few things you’ll need to keep in mind.
Here are a few tips on how to find green cleaning products that work:
· Look for the ingredients list. Since cleaning products aren’t regulated by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), cleaning product manufacturers aren’t required to list the ingredients, unless they contain particularly harmful chemicals or active disinfectants. That means you should look out for products that show a full ingredients list, as this could indicate a higher level of transparency.
· Be aware of common labelling tricks. Many common cleaning products have recently been re-branded as “green” or “environmentally friendly,” even though the core formula hasn’t changed. This is because there are no clear regulations on using these terms. Luckily, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) has amassed data on over 2,500 products, making it easier for consumers to tell when a product is truly green.
· Make sure to carefully research any DIY combinations. You don’t have to buy all new cleaning products to become more eco-conscious: There are plenty of natural DIY solutions out there based on vinegar, baking soda, essential oils, and other common household substances. However, it’s important to be diligent about researching these combinations, as they are still chemicals and can have dangerous reactions when mixed with other substances.
Have more questions about green cleaning options for your home? The team at Merry Maids® can help you create a customized cleaning plan. Don’t hesitate to call our expert cleaning team at (888) 490-4227 today and schedule an in-home estimate!