How to Avoid Holiday Stress
We’re hanging lights, planning get-togethers and shopping for gifts that will delight our loved ones. It’s the most wonderful time of the year! But along with the joy and fun, the holiday season can also bring loads of stress due to an even-longer-than-usual to-do list, added financial burden, more social demands, holiday travel and for many, family drama.
According to a 2022 survey conducted by Sesame, at least 49% of adults in the U.S. feel increased stress or anxiety during the holiday season, and women tend to bear more of the holiday-prep stress burden than men. 38% of Americans have difficulty finding time for holiday prep amid their busy schedule.
Shopping for gifts tops the list of Americans’ biggest specific stressors during the holiday season, with 26% rating it their number one cause of stress. Managing children’s excitement (17%), navigating difficult family dynamics (17%), and planning travel to visit family and friends (16%) are also common sources of holiday stress.
Housekeeping Tasks to Help Avoid Holiday Stress
One time-consuming part of holiday prep is cleaning and decluttering your home before the holidays, especially if you are entertaining friends or family. For an optimally clean home for your big event, it’s best to wait until 5-10 days before to deep clean. However, there are some housekeeping tasks you should start early to ensure that your home sparkles all season long. Keep reading for some #merrymaids quick tips!
- Check your special China to make sure it’s in good condition to serve your holiday guests.
- Organize and consider paring down your belongings by donating rarely used items, so that every room is clutter-free.
- Set aside time to hang up all your favorite decorations - and make sure to have fun with it! Bake cookies – you can use ready-to-bake if you’re time-starved! - sip a cup of holiday cheer such as hot chocolate or eggnog and play some fave holiday tunes to set the mood.
- Order extra chairs, party supplies, coat racks, and other event essentials well in advance.
- Schedule pre- and post-party cleaning services to make life easier during the holidays (this is where Merry Maids® come in).
- Plan out your exterior holiday lighting display.
- Pick out your holiday music playlists ahead of time and set up your home sound system for success.
- Make sure to plan nights for self-care and relaxation amidst all of the chaos!
And don’t forget, if you need help with the house cleaning before, during, or after the holidays, contact your local Merry Maids. Our cleaning professionals are here year-round to lend a hand with the housework so that you can spend more time enjoying yourself with friends and relatives – and less time worrying about the holiday prep and clean-up!
Buy a Merry Maids Gift Card for a Merrier (and Less Stressed) Holiday!
If you are scrambling for last minute gift ideas or are simply wanting to get ahead of the game, consider purchasing one of our Merry Maids gift cards so your loved ones can relax and focus on things that really matter: making memories with loved ones. The gift of time is priceless. Click here to purchase the Gift of Time.
Happy holidays from your family at #merrymaids !
Gift cards are redeemable in our service areas only. Find your local Merry Maids today!