How to Restore Order After the Holidays
Does your home ever feel out of balance when the holidays come to an end? Suddenly your once joyous Christmas tree is dropping pine needles on the floor, pieces of wrapping paper are stuck under your couch, and your tabletops are somehow still sticky and smudged.
Cleaning up after the holidays is a big undertaking, so it’s not surprising that many people don’t know where to start. Set yourself up for success in the New Year by following our guide for restoring order to your home after the holidays!
A Place for Every Gift and Every Gift in Its Place
Leaving gifts under the tree is fun for a few days, but unfortunately, there comes a time when they need to be put away. Before you can start really putting your house back in order, everything needs to be off the floor and in its place.
Taking Down Decor the Right Way
There’s nothing more frustrating than taking down boxes in November only to find they’re filled with tangled lights and broken ornaments.
- Dust before you pack. Ornaments, faux wreaths, and other holiday knick-knacks can gather a surprising amount of dust when on display for the month. Before you box everything up, give it a good dusting first.
- Organize your boxes. Let’s face it, taking down decorations isn’t exactly the highlight of the holiday season, so we don’t blame you for wanting to get it done as quickly as possible. But before you throw as many loose decorations into a box as possible, think about how you’ll feel opening these boxes again at the end of the year. Throw small decorations in a lockable storage bag and bigger decorations in their own containers.
- Pack up by room. Are you someone who’s Christmas spirit can’t be confined to just the living room? If you decorate most rooms in your home, pack and label boxes according to which room they belong to.
Deep Clean Carpets
Food, drinks, dirt, rock salt — there’s no shortage of things that can find their way onto your carpet during the holidays. If your carpet is looking a little darker than it did in November, it may be time for a deep clean of areas that saw the most traffic, like entryways and around the coffee table.
Spot Clean Your Couch
If Aunt Beth’s special dip made a quick stop on your couch before hitting the carpet, it’s a good idea to give your fabric sofa a good cleaning as well. Just remember to always check your manufacturer’s cleaning instructions before attempting to remove stains from your sofa.
Prepare the Guest Room For Your Next Visitor
Once guests leave:
- Check to make sure nothing was left behind.
- Wash sheets and pillowcases right away.
- Dust and vacuum the room.
- Make sure there’s empty space in the closet.
- Be sure to clean the guest bathroom thoroughly as well.
Don’t have the time (or energy) to clean now that your decorations are all down? If you need a helping hand, consider giving our cleaning experts at Merry Maids® a call! We have over 40 years of experience giving busy homeowners more time to focus on the things that matter, and we’re ready to deliver the top-tier clean that you deserve.
Ready to call in help for the post-holiday cleaning? Request an estimate online today.