How to Clean a Vacuum Cleaner
If someone asked when you last used your vacuum in your routine household cleaning, you’d probably be able to provide a general answer. But when was the last time you cleaned your vacuum itself?
It’s easy to forget that the tools used for housekeeping need maintenance themselves. However, keeping your cleaning appliances in pristine condition can increase their lifespans — and result in a more thorough clean.
Cleaning Your VacuumYour bagless vacuum needs ample airflow to work properly. Because of this, it’s important to keep canisters and filters clean. In terms of routine maintenance, you’ll need to make sure your vacuum’s canister is emptied whenever it’s halfway full. You should also take the time to clean your vacuum regularly using the following instructions.
What you’ll need:
- Microfiber cloths
- Dishwashing liquid
- Grout brush
- Unplug the vacuum cleaner and remove the canister.
- Wipe the inside of the canister with a dry microfiber cloth.
- Wash the canister in the sink with warm soapy water.
- Rinse away all soap suds.
- Let the canister dry completely before replacing it.
- Now you’ll move on to your filter: Check your manufacturer’s instructions to determine whether the filter is washable or needs to be replaced.
- To wash a filter, you first need to remove it and tap it against a hard surface so that any dust is knocked out. Do this over a trash can.
- Now rinse the filter under the sink tap using warm water. Don’t use soap or cleaners unless your manufacturer’s instructions specifically say to do so.
- Let the filter dry overnight. Check to be certain it’s completely dry before replacing it.
- Base Plate
- Next, you’ll remove the base plate so that you can clean the beater bar.
- Cut any threads or hair away taking care not to damage the bristles on the bar.
- Use a grout brush to remove any debris from the beater bar.
- Wipe down the base plate of the vacuum with a dry microfiber cloth.
- Finally, you’ll wipe down the outside of the vacuum with the same microfiber cloth.
Now that you know how to clean a vacuum, you’re ready to keep up your routine home maintenance. Wondering what other tools and products you’ll need for regular housekeeping? You’ll find a comprehensive list in this helpful post on home cleaning supplies.
Looking for help managing your routine housework? Contact your local Merry Maids to see if they can lend a hand.