How to Stay Healthy in the Summer
As the temperatures rise, the last thing on most people's minds when the beach is calling, or the next summer excursion awaits is combating illness or allergies. Many associate getting sick with colder months, but the reality is that you can fall sick at any time of the year, including summer.
Fortunately, you can protect yourself and your loved ones by implementing various tips that can keep your immune system healthy and germs at bay, so you don’t have to miss out on fun in the sun.
5 Ways to Stay Healthy and Enjoy Your Summer
1. Practice Good Hand Hygiene
One of the most effective ways to prevent illness this summer is by practicing good hand hygiene. Washing your hands regularly with soap and water is a simple way to remove germs and help prevent the spread of viruses. If soap and water aren't available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be a quick and easy germ-fighting solution.
2. Maintain a Healthy Diet
In addition to practicing good hand hygiene, maintaining a healthy lifestyle can go a long way in preventing illnesses in the summer. Eating a balanced diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains can bolster your immune system and help your body fight viruses and allergies.
3. Stay Hydrated
Hydration is critical in maintaining overall health and is particularly important when fighting off illnesses like the common cold.
Here’s why water is crucial for your health:
- Balances Bodily Functions: Your body is about 60% water, and this fluid performs many essential functions, including maintaining blood volume and transporting nutrients and oxygen to cells. When you're dehydrated, these processes can become less efficient, making it harder for your body to fight off infections.
- Detoxification: Water also helps the body flush out toxins and waste products. This is especially important when you're sick, as your body works hard to fight off the virus and needs to eliminate waste products efficiently.
- Regulates Temperature: Staying hydrated helps regulate body temperature and prevent overheating, and it can also help reduce fevers.
- Enhances Mucous Production: Hydration helps maintain mucous membranes' moisture in the nose and throat, which trap and expel pathogens.
- Promotes Proper Digestion: Adequate hydration aids digestion and prevents constipation, which certain illnesses or medications can exacerbate.
- Prevents Dehydration: Having a cold or flu can cause fluid loss through fever and increased respiratory rate. Drinking water helps replace these losses and prevent dehydration, which may prolong recovery.
While water is an excellent choice for staying hydrated, other fluids like herbal teas, clear broths, or rehydration solutions can also help. It's best to avoid alcohol and caffeine, as they can lead to dehydration. As always, if you're feeling unwell, keep your distance from others and seek medical advice immediately.
4. Get Plenty of Sleep
Adequate sleep is another key factor in maintaining a healthy immune system so that your body can fight off or prevent the flu, a cold, and allergies. Aim for at least seven to nine hours of sleep per night to give your body the rest it needs to stay healthy.
5. Incorporate Supplements
Consider taking vitamin supplements or drinking immune-boosting teas to further boost your immune system. Vitamins C, D, E, and zinc are all known for their immune-enhancing properties. Teas like green tea, ginger tea, and chamomile tea can also provide a comforting way to boost your immune system and avoid having to miss out on your pre-planned summer vacation.
Protecting Others from Illnesses
If you fall ill this summer, it's important to protect others. Practice social distancing, wear a mask, and stay home until you feel better. If your symptoms persist or worsen, seek medical attention from a licensed professional as soon as possible.
Merry Maids Can Help Keep Your Living Space Clean and Safe
While getting sick may not be top of mind, it's a reality that you should be prepared for. Practicing good hand hygiene, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and taking steps to protect others can help reduce the spread of germs and ensure you don't miss out on your favorite summer activities.
Consider contacting our professionals for cleaning services that help promote a cleaner home and a safe space for your entire family this summer.Let Merry Maids help you enjoy your summer with thorough and tailored cleaning services. Request a free estimate!